Event Planning 101: Mama and I

Monday, November 23, 2015






I’ve always dreamed of a formal party for my mom. A small gathering where she can just sit, laugh, and enjoy the moments with people close to her heart.  It has always been my greatest desire since childhood, but then last May, I was able to turn it into reality. Though I have to sacrifice few things like my savings, time with friends, and some of my personal needs and wants, they were all worth it. 





BUDGET
Before I even started planning, I’ve had a fix budget on mind. I promised to stick to it no matter what or else my savings will be at risk. Little did I know that the preparation stage would cost a lot more than that. Taking everything in account, I have spent twice the budget I originally planned - all for a much better birthday experience for mom. I have added a red carpet, stage lights, photo booth, and not to mention the other 20 guests.



MOM
This has to be one of the sub-topics since my mom would always argue with things like this. We’ve had an endless discussion about the expenses, guests, and what not. Every time we talked, she would always encourage me to stop the planning. I understand that she’s just being practical, but as what I told her, it’s me being grateful for all the things she did. Nothing will ever be enough to reciprocate a mother’s love and care, but at least I hope that a simple gesture like this would make her feel cherished. 

  

LOCATION
We live in Valenzuela but most of the ideal places were outside the city. Mom said that it should be near our area so the guests won’t complain. Thanks to Google, I was able to find “One Oceanus”. It’s not particularly in Valenzuela but it will do (located in Meycauayan, Bulacan), who would say no to such a nice place! Though we encountered a slight problem with the sound system, my transaction with Ms. Melissa went smoothly. She’s attentive and kind, provided my requests and even gave me an extra hour without additional charge.  Just Perfect.



CATERER
I think I have searched the internet for weeks but found no caterer that suited my basic needs and budget. But then, thanks to Facebook for introducing me to “First Option Catering”. Sir JK was very professional in terms of my needs and requests. He’s not intimidating, so I was able to tell him what I want and we’re able to arrange things without getting too much on top of the budget. Though he wasn’t able to attend the party, he made sure everything’s fine by making phone calls from time to time. We experienced a technical problem causing their lights and sounds technician to reassemble something that required a fee, but Sir JK waived it so I won’t get an extra charge. He’s also my supplier for lights and sounds and photo booth. His staff were accommodating and easy to get along with.





GUESTS
I’m only planning for a maximum of 50 guests since I’m budget constrained. But then 50 became 70. This was the most crucial part of my birthday party planning since we, Filipinos, are somehow oblige to invite all our relatives and friends just to not feel ashamed for not inviting them.  But at the end of the day, we have to be realistic and practical. We have to accept the fact that we can’t invite everyone and we also have to let go of things we can’t control.


INVITATION AND SOUVENIRS   
I decided to DIY the invitation and souvenirs. Not only because I enjoy arts and crafts, but also I could save money in doing this. I will update this for my DIY tutorials. J




One Oceanus
Contact Person: Ms. Melissa Moraga


First Option Catering
Contact Person: Sir JK Hernandez








You Might Also Like

0 comments