Baguio: Rediscover the City of Pines

Sunday, February 28, 2016


It’s always fun to explore a new city with the people you’re close with. Let me take you to places we’ve been when we’re in Baguio. J

Though we rented a van on our trip to Baguio, I loved that it has been very spontaneous. While one of my friends created a comprehensive itinerary, we were faced with problems beyond our control.

We left Manila around 11 in the evening and arrived in Baguio at around 3 AM. I know, that’s pretty fast, right? I think it really was, because I wasn’t able to get a proper sleep while we’re on our way!

When we were riding through Kennon Road, all of us seemed awake aside from my boyfriend who’s controlling his dizziness by staying asleep. I couldn’t help but to tell them how I remembered the movie “Mama” in our current situation. We were surrounded by cliffs and a full moon. It’s fun to talk about something scary at three in the morning and one or two of your friends would just scream. :D

Our first stop was supposed to be at the Strawberry Farm but it’s still too early, so we parked at a nearby gasoline station and wait for the sun to rise.


I’ve been wanting to witness a fog and it all came true that one cold morning. It’s also calming to watch how simple it was to live there and observe how the people start their day, and carry on to earn money. The goods were unbelievably priced at a low amount compare to those in the city, so we grabbed the opportunity to buy lots of veggies.

We took the 252 steps at Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto. I’ve been here when I was three years old, and the place changed a lot in a good way. I love how they’ve been taking care of the place.

After breakfast, we visited Bell Church and headed on to Tam-awan Village. The place requires a minimal amount of PHP 100 as entrance fee. Tam-Awan Village is not your ordinary tourist spot. It looks like a mountain designed to be an outdoor garden. Though some of the areas we’re not properly maintained, it’s still a nice place to enjoy Baguio and its culture.

By lunch, I was informed that our driver has fever and we have to change our itinerary because he needs to rest. While eating at Diner’s, we decided to just go home, take a nap, and continue the sight-seeing at three in the afternoon.

Good thing that the house where we’re staying was near Burnham Park. Having regained a two to three hour of sleep, we went to the park for boat sailing. We were a group of 8 and our boat was not quiet sturdy, so I must say, it was as nerve-wracking and exciting ride!

We walked our way to Session Road. I love how I felt like a resident there, just walking and enjoying the cold breeze. It felt so refreshing and normal – in a way that you’re in your own city, just wearing your old top and ragged shorts, while looking for a place where you can indulge in a hot coffee and a slice of cake.


I can’t believe how the La Azotea building along Session Road was hiding a jewel behind its venerable façade. Oh-My-Gulay is at the top floor of the building and I felt like I was transported in a whole different place. The pasta I ordered was not that outstanding, but hey, just by the ambiance, I thought I’m already full! I think we spent an hour taking pictures in almost every corner of the restaurant. It’s breath-taking.

We tried to have our dinner at Zola but it’s crowded and we thought it’s not a wise decision to have a meal there. The place looked like a bar, but according to my friend who lived in Baguio for a couple of years, Zola wasn’t like that before.

We ended our first day at the night market. How I love to watch thrift sellers side by side there on the road. The prices were really low, it’s insane! You could find a lot of merchandise on sale, from shoes to clothing, name it.


We walked our way on the market to buy breakfast and souvenirs. We’ll be leaving that day, so we bought souvenirs as much as we can. The most exciting part that morning was the shower. The water was icy cold, it awoken every sleepy nerves I got. It’s so liberating and fun, I wouldn’t trade the experience for a hot dip. ;)

I was able to enjoy a cup of strawberry taho while we’re on our way to Mines View Park. I love how sweet it tasted, that’s one of the things I’ll miss in Baguio. We had a quick trip at The Mansion before heading to Camp John Hay. I think it’s the best place to end our Baguio tour. It has a lot of Baguio feels.
 
Though we weren’t able to go on some of the places in our itinerary, still, I had so much fun being with the people that matters. I love their company and this trip wouldn’t be as much as fun and enjoyable without them.

Have you been to Baguio? Tell me about your experience in the comment section. J















You Might Also Like

0 comments