GOING SOLO: MT.ULAP + BAGUIO (PART 1)

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Last August, I gathered up all my courage to have my first hike and my first solo travel. I registered as a solo joiner for Mt. Ulap and gone solo exploring Baguio afterwards.

Thanks to the long weekend of August 19-21, I was finally able to do something about my dream of travelling solo. When I learned about this break, I knew I shouldn’t waste it like I used to do before. Baguio was the first thing that came to mind, so I started searching on what to do there. I’ve been there just last year with a group of friends, but this time would be different, I knew.

I came across an article about a day hike at Mt. Ulap and mind you, I’m so excited! Of course, I searched for events on Facebook. I found numerous events for August 18-19, but I went for Sir Arphi of Team Akyat Pilipinas for an event fee of Php1,200. Inclusions were the transpo, registration fee, guide fee, headbuff, dinner, and sidetrip to Mines View Park. Sir Arphi was very accommodating and even lend a hand on searching for my Baguio accommodation as I will be staying in the city for another day.

We gathered at a fast food place in Kia Theater and left for Benguet at midnight. What excites me here that time was when I was informed that there was another solo joiner, Jam, so we're two! The others came in groups, so it's really hard for an introvert like me to just join their conversation.


Nonetheless, the van where I'm in was so full of energy. Jam and I were with two groups that time, Filipino and Chinese. So you can just imagine the mix of convos, laughs, and sometimes jokes from the Filipino side of course (maybe because I don't understand Chinese, eh?)

We had our early breakfast at Leeza's at I think 4 in the morning. I tried to sleep my way in the whole ride after, but it's so hard when our driver was full of enthusiasm! He had a lot of stories and guess what? Had a lot of "Versace on the Floor" versions in his playlist! (Sobrang laugh trip si Kuyang Driver) 

We arrived in the registration area at 6 in the morning with so much "kilig" from the girls on the other groups. That's the time when I learned that James Reid just left and went on hiking in the very same mountain we're gonna trek into. (The odds, I know)

We started our Mt Ulap adventure at 7am. We were always the last group as we were so keen on taking pictures. Trees, rocks, even soil, you name it, we have a photo! 

The most notable area for me before reaching the summit was the Gungal rock which hangs on a 60-70 ft high cliff. All the members of my group went to have their picture taken with the sea of clouds behind them, except me. I had really no plans to do it. That time, I was thinking that what I did was more than enough. The courage a boring person like me put into this activity was more than enough. But my new found friends thought otherwise. So, yeah, there I am, in that rock, with the sea of clouds right behind me, enveloping me each second that passed, cold wind sipping through my skin.

They say the summit was the best part. At first, I thought maybe because of its beauty. But as I go deeper, I think it's because the summit shows as the real adventure. It reminds us how far and high we have gone, it's just like the cherry on top. The frostings and the base of the cake are the things we have to go through to reach it. And that makes indulging on that cake more rewarding and deserving. (Why am I always talking about food?!)

So, we had our lunch in the summit. Mine was cheeseburger while Jam was biscuit. We're both thinking back then that babawi na lang kami sa free dinner. Ha! 

The descend was more than easy, we took less photos, less stops, but more convos. I loved it! I must say our group was too fortunate that day considering it rained heavily after our descend, just before we reached the van! I felt bad somehow that there were still other members of the group left in the mountain as it rained cats and dogs. 

Everyone enjoyed the shower afterwards while I stayed in the van to rest. As I will be staying in Baguio for the night, I figured I'd just have my hot and satisfying bath in the inn. 

The group had a quick run in Mine's View Park to buy pasalubong amidst the heavy rain. Too bad we weren't able to roam around the park, Jam and I really like to try and have our photo taken with the traditional Igorot clothing available for rent inside the park though.

Then came the most awaited part, early dinner! I was so excited to taste the food being served at Good Taste. I've heard a lot of nice reviews about it and I finally got the chance to savor its goodness. 

And as expected, tummy's full! That night, I bid goodbye to the best people with a fulfilled heart and happy tummy. :) Sir Arphi was also kind to assist me a few blocks away to the inn I'll be staying at. 

Ah! That day was just so perfect! I don't want to be overly dramatic about it, but it just felt good. To conquer your fear, go out of your comfort zone, meet new friends, discover new places... it makes you love life even more. <3

Now, off to my Baguio solo journey. Please do read about it on the part 2 of this post. ^_^

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hello po. Pwede po malaman contact number or facebook nung group po na sinalihan nyo. Im also planning for solo joiner. First timer here. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. im also interested to join. Actually twice nko umakyat ng mt balabag

      Delete